Thursday, July 19, 2007

A tribute to friends before graduation

I wrote this before I graduated from college. This is a tribute to my batch as we left the portals of our alma mater even though things between us didn't seem to rhyme 2 weeks before the graduation.


Minsan madarama mo kay bigat ng problema
Minsan mahihirapan ka at masasabing “di ko makakaya”

It is November 22, 2027 and it will be my Alma Mater’s 60th Founding Anniversary.

I am waiting for my flight home to the Philippines from Krabi City, South Thailand. I will be attending our Alumni Homecoming.

It was a connecting flight from Thailand to Hongkong to the Philippines.

I was naïve and was not really engrossed to going out of the country. But there I am teaching the kids in Prakhun Language School, a school established by a Filipino Pastor to teach English while integrating the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am sitting inside the boarding lounge while surfing the World Wide Web in my laptop computer set up with Macintosh operating system and with a wireless internet connection. I am checking on LCCC’s website. Later did I know that the website is built thru the efforts of Albert Carbajusa, now a Radio Productions Supervisor of 101.5 FM Bacolod. He was once addicted to going on internet cafés when I taught him how. The website is linked with abs-cbninteractive.com and is having sponsors from different prestigious companies. I now remember that Albert is a very good solicitor during our college years. Amazingly, the proceeds go directly to the city college’s Metrobank account and were used to build the first skyscraper in La Carlota City.

I checked on the graduates tab on the page and noticed the “staff box” hyperlink. There I see Roselyn Dorado, the chairman of the formation and networking committee of lacarlotacitycollege.net. Her staffers are researchers Mike Pabalate, Racel Esparagoza, Jinnah Grace Tamagos and Anna Liza Ortega. They are considered the researchers of researchers in the year 2017. They create links with other schools round the world to much better enhance the quality of education of our Alma Mater. They are also the people who track the current statuses of our batch mates.

Going back to the homepage, I am opening the internet radio, linked to My Only Radio 101.5 FM Bacolod. Just on time, I hear DJ’s Nicolas Roca and his partner Richard Canja inviting LCCC’s alumni to attend the homecoming on November 27, 2027.

In a while, somebody called up on air, it was Sprite Manangkil, asking if the homecoming is KKB (Kanya kanyang baon) or not. Sprite then is already one of the leading internship uniform designers round the Philippines.

Thrilled with my friends’ achievements and endeavours after 20 long years, it is inspiring me to search for the rest of the gang.

As I was skimming the web pages, there is this acoustic band in the advertisement page that caught my attention. I was shocked when I realized Julesis Abraham is already leading an acoustic band with Raffie Salazar as their soloist. Girls and gays scream to the max at their gigs. Besides, they have Cindy Cagayanan, Vinecar Cobilla and Juvy dela Cruz as their back up. Not back-up singers, but back-up dancers.

Then I proved my friends right. There are not just good in teaching, they are also superb on entertainment.

I clicked on the graduates tab of the website then opened the 40th batch link. There is a list of the graduates with their profiles and their current jobs and indulgences at the left side.

Unfortunately, the plane arrives at 10:30, so I got to turn off the computer and board the flight.

I was seated on E7. I was stunned when I saw Merly Roquero and Glaisa Geniebla on seats near front. Good thing, nobody seats beside them so I transferred for awhile to have somebody to talk to. There I learned that these two were working as teacher-volunteers in a remote area in South Thailand. But it is just temporary since they will be finishing their doctor’s degree in the Philippines and apply in their Alma Mater.

On the way, we keep a steady stream of conversation generously sprinkled with animated ejaculations and spontaneous peals of laughter. There is a series of do-you-remember stories about old jokes, parties, common friends and classmates. Before long, it is common knowledge that the Artist of the Year is Jien Omar Mendoza who is presently having his arts exhibited at Shangrila Hotel in Cebu City and gained distinction of his uniqueness. And he is now one of the master teachers in art in the school founded by Drs. Anthony Espanilla, Ryan Canja, Zyrus Leones and Belle Mar Layson, the officers of the Association of Aspiring Artists of the Philippines. Glaisa suggests that they’d better convince the four founders to give a part of their proceeds to Drs. Ysann Gel Genovis, Juliet Baliguat and Donna Mae Tubianosa who are rumoured to be the three missionary educators in Africa who have refused to reveal their identities.

Tumingin ka lang sa langit
Baka sakaling may masumpungan

Continuing the conversation, even though these friends are not with us now, we are feeling proud that they sacrifice a lot for their missions. I added that we also must be proud of Japhet Bermillo, Cyrel Belbar, Ma. Christina Toledo, Jay Hernaez, Sheryl Seligbon, Lenny Villasis, Syrose Rebuca, Ana Mae Pillado, April Joy Despi, Jennicer Sedayon, Daisy Ann Ojano, Celestine Joy Pedrosa and Ariel Gerolani for completing their requirements for the doctorate degrees in Hongkong.

Jenry Gico on the other hand, says Merly, was praised as he established the Literary and Arts Initiative Center with his romantic poems and paintings while having the proceeds donated to the Sakadas of Negros Occidental.

Glaisa, shares that he happened to know that Esther Hope Magbanua, Rosamy Occilada, Liezl Cabasag, May Rosh Arguelles, Sheila Mae Chavez, Shane Ann Tangile, Lorelyn Oroceo, Jeanalyn Larios, Frederick Quillain, Donniver Canja and Renjie Abellita at Dubai’s 7star hotel. He learned about that thru an e-mail from Aisa Joy Angeles, married to somebody rich and having a comfy life at his rest house in Tagaytay. Aisa said, they re having they’re having their international teachers’ convention there.

We’re now landing in Hongkong Int’l airport so have to go back to my seat.

I remember that I have a new issue of Times Magazine in my bag. I skim and saw this text in formal font styles with a bright red background with transparency and opacity fading to white. It is something from Ronnel Busayong, a young president of a private elementary in Wisconsin, USA, featured because of his pure friendship among his subordinates. But there is still a text on Times New Roman font at the bottom. He published his proposal for the girl he loved since college. I don’t know if I am sure if that’s the girl but it is something like “Liz”.

I missed something from the frontpage so I got back. I read the title of Ronnel’s article “Ron’s Friendship and Romance.” To my surprise, the one who interviewed and wrote about him is Mary Grace Ortega, now a staff writer of the internationally distributed magazine, Times.

The rest of the English Literature experts are being dispersed to the different vast regions of the world to write stories for the magazine.

Back to the air, we arrive at NAIA by 5:00 oclock in the afternoon. Bidding good bye to my friends because they all have to go somewhere, I told them about the homecoming and they were willing to cut their schedules.

I decided to stay at a hotel for the night. Inside, I see a poster telling there is a show at ballroom 2 of the hotel, tickets pegged at 200 pesos. I have nothing to do so I see watching the best option..

Just on time, I hear people applaud, and whistle. I am at daze when I see the performers had their production number, it is Precil Necesito, Florebee Corsino, Glaisa Geniebla, Vivian Decrepito, Rey Pacheco, Christopher Teodorico, Randy Cueva, Jetmar Arzaga, Jay-R Miraflor, Arian Almarie, Alex Naragdao, Reynaldo Obelidon and Oroncio Ulbida, Mary Jane and Naarah Michelle having the best of the best Literary musical performances with fight scenes. They are elite performers during the evening but master teachers during daylight.

The shows done, got to book for a flight to Bacolod on November 27, eat and sleep.

November 27, arriving at Bacolod, around 5 in the afternoon, I decided to get a taxi home to La Carlota City.

I went directly to the school and at the vast gate of my Alma Mater with large format photo streamers featuring the college’s 60th founding anniversary, I witnessed Isha Lasco’s crush became man enough to propose marriage at the busy renovated covered walk of La Carlota City College. It was romantic welcoming for me.

Every witness congratulated the two and Isha chose not to attend the alumni homecoming and told our folks that she will be preparing for her marriage.

Di kaya ako’y tawagin
Malalaman mong kahit kailan

I went straight to the publication office to grab a copy of the College Voice, the headline struck my eyes when I see Dr. J-O-Y Solomon’s name. She is now finishing her studies on integrating global quality training and discipline in the Education Course curriculum.

Then moving further to friendship hall where we will be having our first homecoming session, I was astonished upon seeing the vast hall. It is extended, walled with glass, fully air-conditioned with built-in LCD Projector and laptop and brand new sound system. It can already sit a thousand.

Coming in, I see batch 40 and welcoming us, is Dr. Bernadette Balani, now the President of the Alumni Association and the pioneering President of the La Carlota Metropolitan. As I go on my way to a vacant seat with the guffaw and hum of voices in my ears, I can’t help but think and feel amused at our being young again, at the sense of play and adventure that has engulfed us with youthful intensity upon seeing each other after good many years. There I learned that most of us are now doctors and masters of our chosen fields.

November 27, 2027, a clear and starry sky with cold breeze of the coming December is a perfect setting for a festive night. Sleek and flashy cars line the parking grounds in front of the JPRC. In the soft dim adoring light that illuminate the school park, a banner warmly greets all – WELCOME CLASS 2007!!!

The friendship hall is aquiver with life. Subdued lights, the décor – flowers balloons, buntings, -- give the room a mystic atmosphere inducing sentimental memories. The lilting music, the carefree laughter, the happy faces and sparkling eyes – everything that is reminiscent of our last college years is there. As I look into the smiling faces, eyes brimming with unbounded joy, I find myself as though by magic transformation, looking into the beaming faces of more than a hundred school youths of 20 years ago, as with high hopes and aspirations they raise to their lips the eternal song of friendship.

Hawak kamay
Di kita iiwan sa paglakbay
Dito sa mundong walang katiyakan
Hawak kamay
Di kita bibitawan sa paglalakbay
Sa mundo ng kawalan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!
nice batch you have their sir quincy .. galeng naman .. lahat kayo may mga pinaglandingang magandang career ..
good luck to all of you sir quincy!
God Bless you in all your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

ditto, quincy......nice post there....i was singing "hawak kamay" in the background while reading it.....hehehe