Tuesday, July 24, 2007

SONA and SELF



Thanks so much to gmanews.tv for providing a whole video coverage of yesterday's State of the Nation Address of Her Excellency Gloria Macapagal Arroyo of the Republic of the Philippines.

First, I would like to congratulate my friend Luiji John Suarez, organizational awardee, during the International Intel Science Fair held at Mexico. I felt proud seeing him standing with a wide smile, bowing to the national audience - applauded - as he was being commended by the President on her SONA. We knew each other at a Local Youth Development Assembly last November, 2006.

Hearing/reading about the apparent achievements of PGMA's administration from economy, education, empowerment, electricity, medicine, public safety, security and tourism and a lot more made me admire her courage, diligence and passion to serve the country well and right than being stunned of fame and power despite the baloney bickerings, petty scuffles and unintelligent pursuits of many critics and fault-finders.

We will always go down to the bottom line of everything which is imperfection. Our country (and every country) is being governed by human beings with built-in imperfections thus there will always be imperfections in the systems, the strategies and the means of making our 7,100 plus islas to progress and to rise from the mire of poverty. But those natural imperfections can be surpassed with the followers' excellence and perfection in their line of work, excellence and perfection in their relationships and excellence and perfection in governing their own lives and most especially their own selves.

I believe, the progress of one country always begins from the progress of one's self.

That is not a culture of apathy, but a culture of reaching forward for the sake of the family, the community and the nation and knowing where to land.

I hope everybody begins everything with their own selves. An Anglican Bishop often reminds me with his sayings:

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world;
As I grew older and wise I realized the world would not change.
And I decided to shorten my sights somewhat and change only my country. But it too seemed immovable.
As I entered my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I sought to change only, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.
And now, here I lie on my death bed and realized (perhaps for the first time) that if only I'd changed myself first, then by example I may have influenced my family and with their encouragement and support I may have bettered my country, and who knows I may have changed the world.

The change in yourself may just be small simple thing. But as what Alex Lacson told us, let us believe in the power of little things, of little thoughts because these thoughts or ideas can produce actions and these actions can become habbits, these habbits can become our way of life, our culture and these ways of life can become our destiny as a people, as a nation.

I'm sure everyone of us wants to make change in our country. Shall we start it in our selves?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great leader. We need something like that in the US. Forgive me for being ignorant, but which country is this?

quincyjohn said...

oh my God!
i'm sorry Guy.
Let me edit it. I forgot I'm on the internet. lol

Charmed One said...

i didn't get to see the sona because i was at work. medyo busy kaya hindi ako nakasilip sa internet for whatever was happening. ill just see whatever is posted on the web.

Anonymous said...

henaku.kaines ang sona.wish ko lang sa 100% na pangako nila may 85% man lang na matupad.grr.

Anonymous said...

everybody wants to change the world.. or even the country,.. but not a lot wants to change their own self...

change would always start within. not from the outside. ;p

quincyjohn said...

I agree Tina, the chang kick off should always start within ourselves.

However, not everybody cares for change in our country and for the planet.

According to Francis Kong, there are three kinds of homo sapiens existing in this world:

1. Those who make things (changes) happen;
2. Those who watch things happen; and
3. Those who ask "What happened?"

Anyway, I hope someday somehow, everybody would care and be thoughtful as you are Tina.

may God bless us.