Friday, July 27, 2007

Remembering Dick and Rick Hoyt

Dick and Rick Hoyt are a father-and-son team from Massachusetts, USA. TOGETHER, they competed just about continuously in marathon races. And if they’re not in a marathon they are in a triathlon — that disheartening, almost superhuman, combination of 26.2 miles of running, 112 miles of bicycling, and 2.4 miles of swimming.

TOGETHER they have climbed mountains, and once trekked 3,770 miles across America.

It’s a remarkable record of exertion considering that Rick can't walk nor talk.

For the past several years Dick, who is 65, has pushed and pulled his son across the country and over hundreds of finish lines. When Dick runs, Rick is in a wheelchair that Dick is pushing. When Dick cycles, Rick is in the seat-pod from his wheelchair, attached to the front of the bike. When Dick swims, Rick is in a small but heavy, firmly stabilized boat being pulled by Dick. TOGETHER, Dick is the body and Rick is the heart.

It has been a story of exclusion when Rick was born in 1962. He was then 8 months old when the doctors told Dick to put Rick away because he'd be a vegetable all his life, that sort of thing.

But Dick is a true father. He disagreed with what the doctor told them to do, sent Rick back home and raised him just like any normal child.

Dick and Rick Hoyt inspired many people accross the planet including Presidents and many elites.

TOGETHER, let us remember their plight. Let us remember that TOGETHER we CAN if only we will make up our hearts and minds. Let us remember one great LOVE a father has given to a SON.

So far, this is the only youtube video that made me cry for several times. I know I was not the first one cry over this and I believe that I am not the last.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

First heard this at the church. This story is really moving. I almost cried kaya lang nahiya ako so pinigilan ko. lols. But i did think of this story with regards to my relationships. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great blog entry for PBS. This is one of the joys that PBS brings us. Reading good blog that touches our heart and could change our lives.

I tried to watch another video and below is an email from a stranger to Dick. [video]

“I write this because I am a father.
And to my shame I have been nothing like you Dick.
I have been selfish more than I have been selfless.
I am not rasiing my son the way I intended to raise him.
and up to this point you could say I failed.
But yesterday in a moment’s time I was changed.
My heart was broken when I saw how much you must love your son.
to put yourself in such agony. That he might experience the thrill of the race.
Yesterday it became less about me and more about being my children’s
father.
I thank you sir!”

Again thanks Quincy!

quincyjohn said...

You’re very much welcome bratyfly (my God! I forgot your name! I’m sorry.).

I easily get engrossed and moved to inspiring stories and that made me publish that entry, an entry about a life of father for a son.

Maybe another reason why this video always dim my eyes with tears is, I, for one, is longing for a fatherly sacrifice, a fatherly love considering the fact that my father is already history. He died when I was yet young.

Honestly, the understatement is I am envious with Rick but on the surface I am deeply inspired by their story most especially the “CAN-DO” attitude it tells everyone. And I think, it will always will.

I was flattered when you commented. It may seem a no big deal with you but for me it is, really, a big fulfillment for me.

Thanks so much.

quincyjohn said...

Shay, thanks for commenting.
It's good that it influenced you somehow.
Actually I first saw this in our seminar in leadership and this made almost all participants cry. They felt new after that seminar.
It is really moving!
I remembered that video so searched for it in youtube.

Anonymous said...

i have blogged about this na in my past post......nako, ilang bese rin akong naiyak dito.....for the same reason as you, quincy......my dad passed away a few years back. I featured a different video of them though......yung may interview. but i love it still......pinapanood ko ito in times i find lack of courage, or simply for inspiration in life.

ice said...

yayz..
>_<
i remember my father and how things have been between us these past months. yup, that's how Most fathers would treat their children.. unselfish.. loving, caring.. self-giving.

i'm so sorry to know that your father "left" when you were young..
but i guess he didn't really go..
he's still watching over you and your family.

i bet he'd be a great father to you if he's still living right now.. and he's blessed to have a son like you, that takes good care of his family.. i don't really know how you exactly feel.. but then, i know how it feels to be missing someone.. and yours is more grave. be strong. God bless. =)

ice said...

p.s. kamukha daw ni rick si harry potter sabi ng kapatid ko.. hihi

quincyjohn said...

Kuya Reigh, yiz, it's really a good source of inspiration and strength.
Like what just happened with you and Iya.
You had the "Can-Do" attitude Dick Hoyt practiced for his son.
Thanks so much po.

Gracy, try to read bratyfly's comment.
You are just blessed that you have a good pap (I'm not saying I didn't have. My father has been so great!)
What I'm pointing out is, there are still a lot of fathers in the world who are still uninspired to sacrifice and unconditionally love their children.

Ngee! ha3 Kamukha? hmmmmm.

:) Thanks for the comments.

Admin said...

Hehe :)

Sorry di ko alam ang D&R na ito... but its great... hehe ;)

Hindi kasi mag load yung video e..

Aethen said...

Whaah... natouch ako dun a. This is one of the inspiring story i ever know. It was very moving. I can use this to inspire other volunteers to take part in creating a change and touching other people's life.

Even though they are not complete they embody one true spirit by supplementing each other. I hope we can see more people like them. ;)

God bless.

quincyjohn said...

on aethen: yes pare definitely.
you can really use that to inspire your fellow volunteers.
I used that one during our leaders' conference in college and il still be using that to many youth leaders.

try also the Passion of the Christ inspirational videos from youtube with songs like "you raise me up" by josh groban.

it would be about sacrificing for the greatest good.