Friday, July 13, 2007

'Medyo-crity'

In my alma mater, there are some instructors who have stayed in the college circles, working as staff, serving the college for several years and still stagnant. I mean, no promotions at all.

Somebody asks the academic council about his currect status, "I've been here in the city college for a couple of years, but why am I not promoted?"

When I heard that statement (from a friend), I also questioned why. I believe he has been their in the institution since his no-wrinkle years. But why wasn't he promoted?

Pondering over the issue, I knew, there are many employees round the country who asks that, too. But later, I remembered what Mr. Francis Kong said in a seminar on "Life's Winning Points". The same why-am-i-not-promoted? question was asked to the boss, Mr. Kong told us. The boss eloquently answered, "Why? What have you done?"

A slap on the face of the employee.

The thing is, he was jammed in the so-called "medyo-crity" in his line of work (as what Rex Resureccion wrote in his book 'Called to Excel'). Yes, he was there for almost half his life but has he done anything excellent for the college? Has he been a model - of change, of leadership, of concern, of responsibility and of sacrifice? Not at all, I guess. (I once worked with him when I was still part of the student government.)


While living in a great nation of pinoys, considering those Filipinos on international bright lights, mediocrity is still prevalent. It's everywhere. Even in our own areas, our friends, our barangays, our cities. I bet all of us have heard people saying "puede na yan", "okey na yan", "medyo ok na rin". We're contented being mediocre and this is a prelude on how mediocre we will be as professionals and that will later determine a mediocre country.

Let us not make ourselves "medyo-ogres" of the next tomorrows. I believe, mediocrity as anti-excellence concept, is a villain of winners. And as we strive to be winners for our own families and friends, we need not to indulge in "puede na" but into "pulidong pulido". Let's do everything accurately and let our ideas and thoughts produce positive results for the netizens and citizens of our nation.

Thanks to Rex Resureccion along the many Pinoys who advocate for excellence in the country. You deserve ovation.

So, employee, "What have you done?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can relate on your post sir quinkoy .. not me personally but on the pioneering teachers in the college that i am in, they ask the same question ..

and with this post of yours,
now i know .. thanks sir!

Anonymous said...

wow... i dont know why but i think i just feel like i learned something really important there (though i've heard some sermons very similar to that) .. hehe :) thanks for posting it :)

ice said...

oo nga.

wala ka karapatan manumbat kung wala ka namang nagawang kapakipakinabang.

applies to everything

Anonymous said...

great! dumudugo nga lang ilong ko.

It's quite different here...people are so into the rat race.

I'm also envisioning myself rising in the ranks but there is no need to hasten it. I believe in right timing. But development of one's skills and competence should not stop.

Elaine Vigneault said...

Your blog has been added to 2kbloggers.com so congrats!

Anonymous said...

Naging mentality narin kasi dito sa pinas na tanggapin ang mga "medyo medyo". Kaya rin siguro "medyo" lang ang pag-anggat natin. :(