Wednesday, August 29, 2007

When God molds and opens opportunities

When I graduated March 25, 2007, I didn't have anything in mind but to review for the Licensure Examination for Teachers. I thought, I can better start with any job that comes along the way if I'm already a professional license carrier. There's a greater chance of getting hired to any institution, higher compensation and greater opportunities for promotion, privileges and other advantages.

But that plan was twisted when God showered me with good breaks. I already had my application form that time and the only thing left to do is to pay for the 2-month weekends review in my Alma Mater when Kuya Aldwin sent me an e-mail telling me to be his partner for supervising an adolescent reproductive health research project in Region VI. He told me about the benefits and the advantages of indulging in this activity and the things I needed to do. Besides, it's research and it means new learning, new experiences, new adventure -and that's priceless.

So, I kept my application form and prepared for the activity.

Leaving for Iloilo, I left my application letter and credentials at our Municipal Trial Court in Cities. I was applying as an office clerk. Yes, just an office clerk. But mulling over the fact that it is a national office, funded by the Supreme Court, there are fringe benefits.

It was an opportunity God opened through a mentor who has been there for me ever since we knew each other in college. That was my very first job application and I didn't imagine myself having endorsements from the President of my school, from a retired Chief Parole and Probation officer III and the President of the Philippines.

Still, those were through the unselfish efforts of one dynamic mentor - well not just in academics but also in politics, life and love. I owe her a lot.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court didn't declare the position vacant yet so my application in the office is chilled for a while.

Later, it was already August 3, 2007 - Friday - my grandmother died and I was a 90-kilometer trip away from home, still on research. I didn't have any other option but to pursue the researchers to do everything by themselves and to just update me for problems and questions. I badly needed to go home.

God was great! He moved the heart and hands of the researchers and everything went cool.

About grandma's death, though its a sad time for our family, we saw it as another opportunity. An opportunity to help other loved ones and the community around us to see the true meaning of life. Help them know the God of provision and promotion and help them change their outlook on death.

Now, it's 2 weeks after the funeral. No doubt, everything changed here at home after the burial of my grandma. But, she left us with a business. Because of how we "celebrated" her promotion to a better place of setting up a tarp wrapped with photos of blissful memories with her family, using balloons and ribbons and of making a colorful program prints filled with songs and laughter, people came and proposed transactions!

Now we have partners from few institutions for designs, lay-outs and prints. God's so cool isn't it?

While we were yet starting with this graphic designing business and while looking forward for the board exam, my cousin from Laguna, who is a Pastor's wife, called me up one morning and told me about another research project. Now its focused on the socioeconomic and psychosocial status of market vendors below poverty line in Mindanao. My function is to facilitate the workshops and document the proceedings, and make a report. This will start sometime in September.

This is a complimentary project under the Mindanao Basic Urban Services Sector Project (MBUSSP) of DILG with Asian Development Bank as its donor. Considering the job, I can already help my mother and my brother spend for the education of my my younger brother in the Technological University of the Philippines - Visayas taking up Electronics and Communications Engineering and my younger sister who is a special science class high school student.

What do I do now? Shall I hit 2 birds with one stone? Or shall I say 3 birds. By October we will have a Adolescent Reproductive Health Advocacy National Convention in Cebu City for another set of projects for the coming year.

Indeed, When God opens opportunities, you'd go dizzy choosing where to land and I will always be thankful to God and for how He molded me in the 16 years of formal education through the utmost support, love and sacrifice of my parents and of the inspiration of friends, relatives and church family. Worth were all the sacrifices in college. I graduated with honors and it brought me to being an awardee as an outstanding youth of our city (April 13, 2007) apart from my extra-curricular activities and services. My mother was also awarded as outstanding mother of the city. Thanks to the Kababaihang Rizalista Incorporada Kapisanang Pandaigdig, Inc. for such an award. It was then my first chance to be published on Visayan Daily Star. -lol-

Now, the only requirement for me to discern what to choose and what to pursue is through praying for wisdom - practical discernment. As James 1:5 says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

And with all these, I praise the name of the Lord, express my deepest gratitude to my late father and my ever-protective mother and I humble myself.

On photos: [just click on it for a better view] Top The author receiving his diploma.
Bottommost (left to right) Eddie Yap (grandfather), Marisses Tampo (mother), Noel Yap (uncle), the author

14 comments:

KC said...

hi quincy. i'm sorry if i haven't dropped by in a long time. i've been so busy. anyway, totoo na when a lot of opportunity pours down, halos maloka ka sa pagpili.

but syempre, you have to think of that well.

anyway, i hope that you'd do well on your LET. i bet your lola is your guardian angel that guides you in this important part of your life. god bless quincy! =)

Kidglove said...

congrats on your achievements. God is really great!

quincyjohn said...

tnx tnx tnx kc.

o nga. especially if all of 'em are cool opportunities. parang yaw mong bitawan. there was one time when I wanted to hit 4 birds with one stone. ha3 pano kaya yun? ha3

lola was really one of my inspirations.

may God bless you too, KC.

happy blogging.

@kidglove: thanks a bunch. yah He definitely is. can I copy your 8 reminders about trust?

triZzZ said...

wow. ang galing naman. God really moves in mysterious ways. (kanta yun ah?) hehe. Kidding aside, I experienced the same thing after the wake of my brother and lola. After a sad event in our lives, windows were opened. Our family got reunited after some years of misunderstandings, and we knew who real friends are. Opportunities were at its disposal, too.

your parents and your lola must be very proud of you. They are very lucky to have a child like you.

God bless kuya!

quincyjohn said...

That song is true triz. ;)

That's a sad fact triz. We only realize to be more intact with our family when one member is coldtouched by death.

We better change that culture and start taking time to visit and talk to our relatives before death comes along.

By the way, thanks so much triz. Make good in your schooling ha.

Anonymous said...

wow you truly are blessed... im in the middle of opportunity and career pours too but not as huge as yours. priorities are to be studied and assessed ika nga.

but in due time, we'll have what we deserve and yes, God knows what we need. :)

Good luck and keep the praises alive!

God bless!

quincyjohn said...

hey ands thanks for the reminders.

with these blessings, i should have a greater responsibility of ruling over them as I'm bringing it all back to the One who gave them.

it's also a chance to humble myself more.

thanks again.

may God bless you too.

Anonymous said...

and you're blessed with brilliant mind and good deeds. obviously, u were able to achieve these success because of your hard work.no doubt.

your parents must've been so proud of you. with a child who can mold himself for a better future, whew. you gave your family a long relief dear.

Don't ever forget to thank Him for He was there all the way to guide you.

Keep those feet on the ground and always stand up with pride and humility.

May God Bless you.

quincyjohn said...

and I wasn't able to do it if not for the people who have been there for me through thick and thin.

Especially to God.

That's why I bring back all the glory and praise to His name.

And now, its payback time for my mother, my family, my friends.

Thanks so much jack!

Anonymous said...

wow, achiever ka pla, quincy! Congratz! You deserve all these recognitions. but always remember that these are only prestige and are material things. there is more great things than those. I know that you have seen the light of it. It's good that you also dedicate all of these things to God. To Him is the glory and thanks for all the blessings in life we received.

Pare, uncle mo ba si Noel Yap? He is one of the panel of the steering committee who interviewed me for the National Search of Outstanding Volunteers last wednesday. hehe.

quincyjohn said...

thanks for the reminder pare.

yes definitely, these are all temporal. I was once blinded with prestige but i really regret it.

But the honing of character during the sacrifices were really worth a million kisses from a million beautiful ladies. har3 just kidding.

torpe ako.

I'll always bring everything back to Him and for my mother, its payback time!

It will also be a tribute for my late pap.

tina said...

grab the opportunities... i think nasa season of spring ka.. kasi ang daming opportunities dumarating.. tapos na kasi ung winter mo (death of your granny)... its something i learned from my mom's mentor... the lesson of seasons.. :) soo gooo plant in the spring :)

quincyjohn said...

whoa!

ha3 thanks for the advice.

it's true, definitely.

right on!

Anonymous said...

all things will come in time.....i am quite sure you've made the people around you proud of your accomplishments so far....God Bless.